💪 eco-warriors stuck at home
🚶♀ people who go on a walk anyways,
🌊 people who would like to enjoy a swim in the Maas in summer with fewer plastics around them,
💤 people who are bored at home,
💚 to people who care
Have you seen it? Bottle caps, dolls, styrofoam, toys, and much more plastic items are “decorating” the banks of the Maas. After a period of high water in the winter, now is the time to find a lot of plastics on the banks/ shores of the Maas in spring.
We know the story, and we also know what to do: WE NEED TO PICK IT UP! Because otherwise, the plastics will end up in our oceans, slowly degrading into microplastics and resembling bite-sized fish food. Not so yummy.
However, due to the measures that aim to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, all collective clean-up actions along the rivers are cancelled this year. Usually, CNME alone picks up around 700 bags with plastics collected by around 600 participants on the riverbanks in Maastricht, as part of in the annual ´Schone Maas` (Clean Maas) initiative!
-ABOUT THE INITIATIVE-
The InnBetween, Green Office Maastricht, and Maastricht for Climate decided to collaborate and organize ‘coronavirus-free pick-up walks’ with you! 🌿🌍 All three organizations carry sustainability and social responsibility at their heart, and we know that many of you do too!
We aim to raise awareness of environmental issues and take action, but we are taking the protective measures as specified by the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RVIM) very seriously and ask you to follow them as well. Go for a walk on your own or with a family/household member, and respect the social distance.
-EQUIPMENT FREE OF CHARGE-
The CNME kindly offers that we can use their equipment (plastic bags, gloves & picking- tools/pliers) so it will be provided for you!
-I WANT TO PARTICIPATE! WHAT SHOULD I DO?-
Is your sustainability spirit activated? Then your next steps are 👇
1. Send us (The InnBetween) a message! We will get you in touch with the CNME, together you will decide where at the Maas to take your pick-up walk.
2. Pick up your equipment with the CNME and go on your walk along the Maas, picking the litter on your stretch!
3. You are done collecting? You leave the bag at an agreed location along the Maas and the CNME will have them picked up. So no worries about carrying a heavy bag! Thus we will ask you to safely return reusable equipment.
3. Let us (the InnBetween) also how many bags you collected, this way we can keep track of how many bags we collect all together and give regular updates on our collective effort!
4. Did you find a funny plastic item? Did you witness a beautiful scenery of nature during your corona-free pick-up walk? Share these pictures on social media (Facebook or Instagram post) and don’t forget to put the hashtag #SchoneMaas and tag us (@innbetween_maastricht). We will select three lucky participants on May 25th and award them with 10€ Gedeelde Weelde vouchers (local organic food cooperative).
In the end, we are all in this together.
While we are picking individually, it is still a collective effort.
And we are not too stuck at home to save the world.
*** We would like to emphasize that this is an initiative that you can do on your own, with your family, or with your household. ***
We decided against one coordinated action day and rather spread the campaign out over 3 weeks. This way, many people have the chance to go on *individual* plastic pick-up walks without the risk of stimulating group gatherings. We ask you not to leave your home in case you experience symptoms that could be related with a corona infection, and ask you to follow the hygiene measures as specified by the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RVIM).
- Plastics clean-up: #SchoneMaas
May 1, 2020 - May 24, 2020
10:00 am - 9:00 pm